- Dish type
I created this salad from several delicious ideas I tried at different restaurants. I prefer it with soft crumbled goat's cheese, but other types of cheese could work well, as well. Experiment and let me know how you like it!
11 people made this
- 50g walnut or pecan halves
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 100g rocket leaves
- 1/2 pear, cored and sliced thinly
- 50g soft goat's cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, or to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:10min ›Ready in:30min
- Begin by caramelising the nuts. Line a small frying pan with a sheet of aluminium foil (to prevent sticking) then arrange the nuts inside and place over a low heat. Stir occasionally until nuts are fragrant and golden on the inside, about 8 to 10 minutes. Watch them carefully as they go from done to overdone very quickly! Remove from the heat and let cool completely in pan. Chop and set aside.
- Place the rocket leaves into a bowl then add the sliced pear on top. Sprinkle the crumbled goat's cheese and nuts into the salad.
- Just prior before serving, dress with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Season with fresh ground black pepper and toss. Serve immediately.
Sometimes I add some thinly sliced leek or red onion, but this is really optional.
Toasting the nuts
Alternatively, you can place the nuts on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes at 180 C / Gas 4, moving often to prevent burning.
I buy baby rocket and use whole leaves, however mature leaves could be cut in two.